In many cultures, mothers have a lying-in period. During the lying-in period, the mother has an opportunity to rest, recuperate, learn how to breastfeed, and get to know her baby. Other women from the community surround her with emotional/physical support and offer parenting education based on generations of experience – all of which contributes to a smooth recovery from birth, and transition to motherhood.
At Doulas of Austin, our goal is to preserve the lying-in period for you and your family.
Your postpartum doula will come to your home and help you develop skills to care for your infant while balancing the process of recovery, breastfeeding (should you choose), lack of sleep, and light household tasks. Simply having an expert to support you in the unpredictable moments, to validate the struggles, to assure you about what is “normal” and what is not, and to guide you in creating realistic daily goals can be priceless. When you invest in our professional postpartum doula care, the postpartum period becomes less challenging, more relaxed and more rewarding.
Our postpartum doulas commonly help will:
- Offer evidence-based education on all things relating to your recovery from birth and your baby’s adjustment to life outside the womb
- Recognize and help you navigate any postpartum mood disorders should they arise
- Support the entire family’s adjustment including partners, siblings and pets
- Provide companionship and nonjudgmental support as you find your parenting style and settle into it
- Model/teach you the basics of caring for your newborn including but not limited to soothing techniques, reading your baby’s cues, and providing opportunities for your baby to meet their growth and developmental milestones
- Recognize what is beyond the scope of “normal” and connect you with Austin’s most respected community resources when necessary
- Affirm that your motherly instincts are leading you in the right direction
All daytime support shifts have a 4-hour minimum
Parents are able to choose their preferred schedule for hours purchased
All hours must be used in full within 3 months of contract signing/birth of baby