The placenta is an organ that develops in the uterus during pregnancy to provide oxygen and nutrients to the growing fetus. Placenta Encapsulation is the process in which after childbirth, the placenta is steamed, dehydrated, and ground into a fine powder that is then placed into capsules for consumption.
Placenta consumption has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for centuries, and continues today due to the belief that it holds great benefits for the mother’s mental health, recovery and general postpartum well being.
While the ‘evidence’ supporting placenta consumption is largely anecdotal, women who choose to encapsulate report numerous benefits including:
- Decrease in baby blues/postpartum depression
- Restored hormone balance
- Restored iron levels in the blood
- Increase in maternal milk production
- Increase in maternal energy
- Faster healing following childbirth
- Decreased postpartum bleeding
- Improved mood and overall sense of well being
Doulas of Austin’s placenta specialists are certified, experienced, and adhere to strict professional standards.